Smaba 2.2.8. Cant get file properties

Boyce, Nick nick.boyce at eds.com
Mon May 24 20:22:54 GMT 2004

On 24th.May.2004 Michael Lemke wrote :

>>> I've just installed Samba 2.2.8 from the
>>> http://www.pi-net.dyndns.org/anonymous/jyc/
>>[...]
>>> I connect my W98 SE box over an ssh tunnel for port 139
>>> and I can see the VMS directories.  I can even delete and copy files.
>>> Cool.
>> [...]
>>> Do I have to forward other ports?
>>
>>I think you'd need to also forward UDP port 138 (NBT datagram service)
>>over your tunnel - though you can probably do without UDP port 137 (NBT
>>name lookup service) if you hard-code IP addresses in your setup ...
>
> Hm, in the meantime I am also forwarding port 137 and 138 but
> it doesn't make any difference.  Do I have to do anything special
> for UDP?

I've just been googling for info on this, as I was interested - I use PuTTY,
not Terraterm, and the PuTTY SSH tunnels config dialog doesn't provide any
way of specifying whether it's TCP or UDP that you want forwarded ... as if
it's a silly question.

As indeed it seems to be - if you Google for "forward udp ssh tunnel" you'll
find loads of comments to the effect that it's not possible to SSH-tunnel
UDP packets ... something to do with performance problems, though I don't
understand that ...

For a discussion of setting up PuTTY tunnels, see :
   http://www.cyberknights.com.au/doc/PuTTY-tunnelling-HOWTO.html
which has the following comment :

   What won't work through a PuTTY tunnel

   Anything that uses UDP like the SMB/CIFS (MS-Windows) or
   NFS network file systems and many video-conferencing
   protocols, likewise ICMP (PuTTY tunnels only TCP)

Apparently you *can* use an IPSEC tunnel to do this, if you want ...

Hey - a successful Monday ... I've learned something :)

Good luck
Nick Boyce
EDS, Bristol, UK