Smaba 2.2.8. Cant get file properties

ai26 at sternwarte.uni-erlangen.de ai26 at sternwarte.uni-erlangen.de
Mon May 24 19:02:09 GMT 2004

In a message of Mon, 24 May 2004 13:57:56 +0100
Received on Mon, 24 May 2004 14:59:23 +0200

Boyce, Nick <nick.boyce at eds.com> wrote to samba-vms at lists.samba.org

>On 23rd.May.2004 Michael Lemke wrote :
>
>> I've just installed Samba 2.2.8 from the
>> http://www.pi-net.dyndns.org/anonymous/jyc/
>[...]
>> I connect my W98 SE box over an ssh tunnel for port 139
>> and I can see the VMS directories.  I can even delete and
>> copy files.  Cool.
>[...]
>> Do I have to forward other ports?
>
>I think you'd need to also forward UDP port 138 (NBT datagram service)
>over your tunnel - though you can probably do without UDP port 137 (NBT
>name lookup service) if you hard-code IP addresses in your setup ...

Hm, in the meantime I am also forwarding port 137 and 138 but it doesn't
make any difference.  Do I have to do anything special for UDP?
Currently I am doing this with Tera Term SSH, but Cygwin ssh behaves the
same unless I missed an ssh option.

>> But whenever I try to get file properties via the right
>> mouse click or ALT/Enter the box freezes for about 2 minutes
>
>... erm, I don't actually know whether UDP port 138 has anything to do with that ...
>
>Actually I'm not at all sure what SMB UDP-port-138 really does - but on
>the assumption it has something to do with carrying important
>asynchronous event information ("expedited data") about your SMB
>TCP-port-139 session, I'd try to enable it if possible.
>
>PS: I'd be very interested to know which SSH implementation for VMS you're using, and where you found it ...

We are running the David Jones SSH server of 2001 vintage.  Google for
it and you should find it.  There's probably are more recent version by
now.

Michael

--
Michael Lemke
Sternwarte Bamberg, University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany