Smaba 2.2.8. Cant get file properties

Boyce, Nick nick.boyce at eds.com
Mon May 24 12:57:56 GMT 2004

On 23rd.May.2004 Michael Lemke wrote :

> I've just installed Samba 2.2.8 from the
> http://www.pi-net.dyndns.org/anonymous/jyc/
[...]
> I connect my W98 SE box over an ssh tunnel for port 139
> and I can see the VMS directories.  I can even delete and
> copy files.  Cool.
[...]
> Do I have to forward other ports?

I think you'd need to also forward UDP port 138 (NBT datagram service) over your tunnel - though you can probably do without UDP port 137 (NBT name lookup service) if you hard-code IP addresses in your setup ...

> But whenever I try to get file properties via the right
> mouse click or ALT/Enter the box freezes for about 2 minutes

... erm, I don't actually know whether UDP port 138 has anything to do with that ...

Actually I'm not at all sure what SMB UDP-port-138 really does - but on the assumption it has something to do with carrying important asynchronous event information ("expedited data") about your SMB TCP-port-139 session, I'd try to enable it if possible.

PS: I'd be very interested to know which SSH implementation for VMS you're using, and where you found it ...

Cheers
Nick Boyce
EDS, Bristol, UK