Smaba 2.2.8. Cant get file properties

Michael Lemke ai26 at sternwarte.uni-erlangen.de
Sun May 23 22:18:14 GMT 2004

I've just installed Samba 2.2.8 from the
http://www.pi-net.dyndns.org/anonymous/jyc/
web site.  I couldn't link it as it didn't find snprintf and friends.  So
I compiled
 from source.  I undefed HAS_SNPRINTF etc. from config.h and added a
#define for IFF_UP.
Then everything compiled and linked.  This is with DEC C V5.7-004 on
OpenVMS Alpha V7.2-1
and
DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.0A - ECO 3
   on a COMPAQ Professional Workstation P running OpenVMS V7.2-1
Now it seems to work.  But...

I connect my W98 SE box over an ssh tunnel for port 139 and I can see the
VMS directories.
I can even delete and copy files.  Cool.  But whenever I try to get file
properties
via the right mouse click or ALT/Enter the box freezes for about 2
minutes.  After that
I get fairly empty information in the property sheet of the file and the
LOG.box file in
SAMBA_LOG has something like
[2004/05/23 21:22:32, 0]
TMP:[AI26.SAMBA-2_2_8-SRC.SOURCE.LIB]UTIL_SOCK.C;3:(441)
   read_data: read failure for 4. Error = connection reset by peer
[2004/05/23 21:22:38, 1]
TMP:[AI26.SAMBA-2_2_8-SRC.SOURCE.SMBD]SERVICE.C;2:(636)
   micha (xxx.xxx.xxx.xx) connect to service ai26 as user ai26
(uid=8388765, gid=128) (pid 557909691)

This also happens if I try a `cd' in a cygwin window.  `cd' in a DOS box
works.  Double click
on a .txt file also freezes, `more' via cygwin works.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Do I have to forward other ports?

Thanks,
Michael