Version Control

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Mar 20 02:10:13 GMT 2004

randy.a.wagner at census.government wrote:
> I've never worked with SAMBA and VMS before but I'm considering it as it
> may help with version control.  If I look at a modified file on the
> Window's side, would I see it as foo.c or foo.c;2 (for the revision).  I'm
> setting up a centralized project repository but I don't want to wreak havoc
> for either the dev staff or myself.  Thank you.

Currently all known versions of Samba for OpenVMS will not display the
version number.

To modify it to handle versions would require some changes to how
filenames are translated from VMS format to UNIX.

The Microsoft conventions to either prepend "Copy (n) of " to the file
name, or put something similar on the backend.

Anything that the filename translation code does to synthesize a file
name will have problems if there really is a filename with that name as
is allowed with ODS-5.

Controlling how many versions should be displayed is another issue.  It
may be possible to use the "HIDDEN" attribute on the extra versions, or
use a control file in the directory for that purpose.

It may also be possible to to rig up some other method.

So it is possible to do this, it is just that SAMBA for VMS does not do
it now.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network