Convert DS20 from Tru64 to VMS

Boyce, Nick nick.boyce at eds.com
Mon Jun 21 17:17:08 GMT 2004

Claude Marinier wrote :

> I thought that I could just copy the VMS files to a pair of
> larger disks, attach them to the DS20 (got it from a project
> that ended), change a few settings at the console, and boot.
> VMS runs but the SCSI devices that are visible from the
> console before booting are not visible from VMS

Hmmm ... I never played with a DS20, but ISTR that with an Alphaserver 800
we did this to, the firmware (= PALcode) had to be changed when converting
from VMS to Tru64, or vice-versa.

i.e. OpenVMS PALcode != Tru64 PALcode

I remember being surprised about this at the time .... it seems that the
Alpha instruction set is a shape-shifting thing ... or some more subtle
aspect of the microcoded behaviour has to change.

HTH

Nick Boyce
EDS, Bristol, UK