Newbie questions

randy.a.wagner at census.gov randy.a.wagner at census.gov
Fri Jun 18 14:21:45 GMT 2004

My users are in a VMS environment and currently FTP files as needed.  I'm a
Configuration Manager who has never worked in VMS.  I've seen SAMBA used in
the past between Windows and Linux machines.  Users simply mapped a drive
to their Linux box directly in the Windows file system.  I have several
questions here if anyone would be kind enough to indulge me.

1. Does SAMBA need to be installed on the Windows machine, the  VMS
machine, or both?
2. How complex a task is it to do this installation?
3. Is it a security nightmare? (I'm in a highly controlled gov't facility).

Thank you for whatever help you can give me.

Randy Wagner
Software Configuration Management
SAIC, US Bureau of Census
301-763-4055