Windows Change Password

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Mon Jun 7 03:28:17 GMT 2004

Michael Ober wrote:
> I need to be able to change the password on our VAX system from the Windows
> password change dialog.  Is this possible with Samba VMS.  I'm running Samba
> Version 2.2.8 on HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.4 on a
> AlphaServer 1200 5/533 4MB running OpenVMS V7.3-2.
>
> Setting Samba to authenticate against the domain is insufficient as my users
> also need to login to the VMS system directly.

The Microsoft UNIX Compatibility package for Windows NT 4.0 came with
source code for a utility that could intercept a password change dialog
on a PC client, and then relay the results to a UNIX system.  A
privileged daemon on UNIX would then set the password there.

It should be adaptable to SAMBA and OpenVMS.  IIRC: The Microsoft APIs
for intercepting the password change are documented in their MSDN and
TECHNET dialogs.

Another HACK that may be more risky is to set the selected VAX accounts
not to have a password, and in SYLOGIN.COM to use SMBPASSWD to validate
the login.  Of course this must be done only for terminal class logins
interactive logins.

To do this, you must modify SYLOGIN that if a NETWORK class login comes
in from a source that you do not have a proxy for, it will be denied.
[And you will quickly find all the command files with usernames and
passwords coded in them]

And since those VMS accounts will not have passwords, you must set Samba
to authenticate against the domains.

There are risks of doing this in that you may not cover all the login
cases.  So I would recommend studying things carefully before
implementing this second method.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network