VFC File truncated when copied from VMS to Linux via smbfs

COLLOT Jean-Yves jean-yves.collot at cofiroute.fr
Mon Jul 26 13:43:38 GMT 2004

The problem is that specific file mixes text(ASCII) records, and binary
records (in fact big records filled with binary zeroes).

In this particular case, the Samba/VMS method for computing the size of the
file (as if it was a stream file) does not work properly : all the zeroes
are forgotten.

This is not too much a problem when the client is Windows/Wordpad or
Notepad. It becomes a bigger problem when the client is from Linux (vi, cp,
etc...), because such clients first asks the server for the size of the
file, then processes the file according to the server's answer. As far at
that answer was not correct, the file was truncated.

You now have a fixed version of Samba available on the usual location
(http://www.pi-net.dyndns.org/anonymous/jyc/).

In addition, this new version also fixes a small bug that made the NMBD
process to slowly grow its virtual memory consumption. After some time
(several weeks or even months), NMBD started to act curiously, because it
sometimes failed to get memory.

JY