VFC File truncated when copied from VMS to Linux via smbfs

Ben Armstrong BArmstrong at dymaxion.ca
Tue Jul 20 17:51:00 GMT 2004

I have a pair of log files of similar size and format that always are
truncated somewhere at around the 16000'th out of 19000+ lines when I
copy them from a Samba 2.2.8 VMS system to a Linux system running Samba
3.0.4 and smbfs (Linux 2.6.7).  A "dir/full" of one of the files is as
follows:

SYNEDT_P.BG;1                 File ID:  (259952,18,0)
Size:         1950/2001       Owner:    [DV,BG]
Created:    20-JUL-2004 13:33:36.00
Revised:    20-JUL-2004 13:33:36.00 (7)
Expires:    20-JUL-2014 13:50:42.06
Backup:     <No backup recorded>
Effective:  <None specified>
Recording:  <None specified>
Accessed:   <None specified>
Attributes: <None specified>
Modified:   <None specified>
Linkcount:  1
File organization:  Sequential
Shelved state:      Online
Caching attribute:  Writethrough
File attributes:    Allocation: 2001, Extend: 0, Global buffer count: 0
                    Version limit: 1
Record format:      VFC, 2 byte header, maximum 0 bytes, longest 3828
bytes
Record attributes:  Print file carriage control
RMS attributes:     None
Journaling enabled: None
File protection:    System:RWED, Owner:RWED, Group:RWED, World:
Access Cntrl List:  None
Client attributes:  None

If I convert the file using this stream.fdl and then copy the file, it
is no longer truncated by the copy:

FILE
        ORGANIZATION            sequential
RECORD
        BLOCK_SPAN              yes
        CARRIAGE_CONTROL        carriage_return
        FORMAT                  stream_lf

I cannot reproduce the truncation when I copy the file from the VMS
system to a Win2K system.  Nor can I reproduce the truncation when I use
GNOME nautilus to copy the file.

Any idea what might be going wrong, here?

Ben
--
      Ben Armstrong                -.       Medianet Development Group,
      BArmstrong at dymaxion.ca         `-.    Dymaxion Research Limited