This message is in MIME Format

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Jan 16 15:55:17 GMT 2004

Rachel Wrote:

[Message is currently being held in the possible spam queue for manual
release.  I do not have authority to release it]

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C3DC2F.91D69A40
>
> Good Day
>
> I have the following error.  Kindly let me know how to resolve it
>
> This message is in MIME format since your Mail reader does not understand
> this information some or all of this message may not be legible.  Is this
> problem coming from the server (Exchange 5.5) or from the clients machines?
>
> Regards, Rachel

Rachel, you will see that error message when someone sends a MIME
formatted e-mail to a mail reader that either does not understand MIME,
or has MIME disabled for security reasons.

E-Mail traditionally is PLAIN-TEXT only.  MIME is an optional
enhancement that should only be used when you know that the recipiant
wants to receive it.

The SAMBA mailing lists will remove all but the plain text portions of a
posting, and any attachements that are not plain-text.

This can leave message like that in posting, particularly when spam gets
through.  The MIME part of the spam will not get through.

Your message was sent in MIME, and that may be reasont that the SAMBA
spam filter flagged it as possible spam for manual moderation.

I would recommend that you set your e-mail program to send in plain-text
by default when mailing out to the public internet, and only turn on
HTML or RICH TEXT when you are sending to someone that you know wants to
accept MIME formatted e-mails.  This will help prevent content filters
from misclassifying your e-mail.

Almost all spam or viruses are sent in HTML format, so the presence of
the HTML and the tag that your mailer put on the message are one of the
key metrics that a content based spam filter looks for.

Some people will go so far as to automatically delete unread all MIME
encoded e-mails.

In addition, if your e-mail program is displaying HTML by default, and
opening external links for pictures automatically, it can give out
information to spammers automatically.

When an e-mail program opens a link in the spam, it uses your web
browser program to do so.  That link at a minimum tells the spammer that
your mail server is accepting their spam, so that they can target more
spam to your domain.

The link can also have your e-mail address encoded in it, which confirms
to the spammer that your e-mail address is live and that their spam is
getting through to it.  In addtion some web browsers will happily give
out your e-mail address to web sites that ask for it.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network