samba-vms Digest, Vol 14, Issue 3

Jan-Erik Söderholm XA (TN/PAC) jan-erik.xa.soderholm at ericsson.com
Wed Feb 4 08:29:55 GMT 2004

> >Hi.
> >The original OP didn't say what VMS version.
> >AFAIK, the 127 block dir cache limit (and I don't
> >think raising ACP_DIRCACHE helped actualy) was
> >removed in some later VMS version. Maybe 7.x.
>
> Are you sure about that? I deal with 7.1 to 7.3-1 systems on
> a daily basis, and if we have to delete large numbers of
> files in a directory, it takes a very long time - unless
> you do it in reverse alphabetical order!
> ----------------------------------
>         Stephen Eickhoff
>        www.operagost.com
> ----------------------------------

Hi.
I said that the fixed limit on DIR size caching
was changed, not that it should be "fast" (whatever
*that* is...) to delete files :-)

Anyway, I think that a situation where you regulary
have *many* files in a single VMS directly is
bad application design. Now, I have regulary used
designs where ther have been 20-30.000 files in a single
dir, without any major problem. And, as you said, there
are tricks if you need to delete a large amount of files.

And lastly, this is what the VMS-FAQ says :

"Performance of larger directory files improves (greatly)
 with OpenVMS V7.2 and later-operations on directory files
 of 128 blocks and larger were rather slower on earlier
 OpenVMS releases due to the smaller size of the directory
 cache and due to the directory I/O processing logic."

Best Regards
Jan-Erik.

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, interruption, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.