Tuning for performance

COLLOT Jean-Yves jean-yves.collot at cofiroute.fr
Tue Feb 3 11:18:53 GMT 2004

Actually, as you may guess, the bad performance is due to the number of
files in a directory (in fact, the size of the directory (.DIR) file), not
of the size of the files themselves. Because of the RMS directory caching
feature, the real gap is when the directory file is bigger than 127 blocks.

The bad performances in such a situation (huge .DIR file(s)) are not limited
to Samba, however. Even a simple "DIR" DCL command may be quite slow. When
you browse a Samba shared directory through the Windows Explorer, it's more
or less the same as executing a "DIR/SIZE" command on this directory. Is
Samba much slower than DIR/SIZE ?

The only thing I know that can enhance the performance problem in that case
is to increase the ACP_DIRCACHE sysgen parameter, in order to make it big
enough to cache the whole big directory. The first access to the directory
is slow, but subsequent accesses are notably better.

Jean-Yves