smbpasswd syntax please

Alder PGDEHMKOKIMD at spammotel.com
Sat Dec 4 19:35:35 GMT 2004

Alder wrote::

> Hi,
>
> Using the latest Samba 2.2.8 build with USER level security, but am
> having trouble using the smbpasswd command while logged in as SYSTEM.
>
> I want to add a user to the smbpasswd file, so I enter:
>
> $ smbpasswd -a <user>
> ..or..
> $ smbpasswd "-a" <user>
>
> but this merely produces the help screen for the smbpasswd command.  The
> same goes for the other command switches available to root.  This used
> to work on the builds released before October, so did the syntax of the
> command change, or am I simply missing something obvious?

Answered it myself moments after posting.  It seems one has to add the
"-L" switch now, even when logged in as SYSTEM, i.e.:

	smbpasswd -L -a <user>

Perhaps someone could comment on when the "-L" switch became mandatory,
and why.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't needed in the pre-October releases
of version 2.2.8.

Thanks,

Terry