Samba crashs VMS

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Dec 4 18:26:44 GMT 2004

Eyal.Shaynis at ecitele.com wrote:
> I'm a newbie with Samba on VMS.
>
> After installing and configuring Samba 2.0.3 on VAX/VMS 5.5-2 using UCX,
> if I try to update a file from my PC, the VMS crashes (panic)

The only privileged code in SAMBA 2.0.x is unlikely to be able to crash
the system.

It would take analyzing the crash to find out the exact cause.  For
OpenVMS VAX 5.5-2, and UCX there are many patches that have been
released that may or may not address the problem.

The current OpenVMS VAX version is 7.3 and most VAXes that will run
5.5-2 will run 7.3 just fine.

SAMBA 2.0.3 is also old.  I do not know if the newer SAMBA will work on
5.5-2.

You can find 2.2.8 source and some binaries at:

http://www.pi-net.dyndns.org/anonymous/jyc/

If you are really into experimentation, you can find out what it takes
to get the 2.2.12 source at http://encompasserve.org/~malmberg/samba to
build on OpenVMS VAX.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only

And if this message happens to make it through to the AAD subscriber,
your network's anti-spam challenge method is badly broken and causing
you not to get all the e-mail from the SAMBA-VMS list and probably
causing more important mail to be lost.