Samba authentication on OpenVMS using SYSUAF (how?)

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Dec 3 03:27:33 GMT 2004

Dave Pampreen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> First off, this is my first post, so be nice :)
>
> Background:
> OpenVMS 7.2-1 (Alpha)
> TCP/IP 5.3 (TCPIP_MUP V5.3-181) installed
> Samba 2.2.8 (from source:  SAMBA-2_2_8-OBJ-20041021.ZIP)
>
> I have it configured and I can connect, but I had to use
> SAMBA_ROOT:[BIN]SMBPASSWD to set a password.
>
> What I would like to do is get it so authenticate against SYSUAF so I don't
> have to maintain 2 passwords.  What do I need to do with my SMB.CONF file to
> accomplish this?

Have you enabled plain text passwords in your client?  The only way that
a LANMAN client can be authenticated against the SYSUAF is if it
presents the password in plain text over the wire.

The sending of the password in plain text by Microsoft LANMAN clients
has been disabled for quite a while.

Other than that, I have not tested that configuration.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net