Samba authentication on OpenVMS using SYSUAF (how?)

Dave Pampreen dave at davesdotcom.com
Thu Dec 2 01:15:59 GMT 2004

Hi everyone,

First off, this is my first post, so be nice :)

Background:
OpenVMS 7.2-1 (Alpha)
TCP/IP 5.3 (TCPIP_MUP V5.3-181) installed
Samba 2.2.8 (from source:  SAMBA-2_2_8-OBJ-20041021.ZIP)

I have it configured and I can connect, but I had to use
SAMBA_ROOT:[BIN]SMBPASSWD to set a password.

What I would like to do is get it so authenticate against SYSUAF so I don't
have to maintain 2 passwords.  What do I need to do with my SMB.CONF file to
accomplish this?

Here is what I currently have (basically from the example)

[global]
        password server = xxx.yyyyyyyy.com (replaced actual host name)
        log file = /samba_root/var/log.%m
        deadtime = 10
        default service = default
        create mask = 0777