We are pleased to hear of your support for OpenVMS on

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Aug 19 16:48:48 GMT 2004

In article <A8521F62606D3E479A786385A44FBDB36DE028 at cossmgmbx01.email.corp.tld>,
 "Tillman, Brian (AGRE)" <Brian.Tillman at smiths-aerospace.com> writes:

> Michael A. Fitzgerald (mfitzgerald at thelpsgroup.com) wrote:
>
>> Dear Samba,
>
> Dear Samba??  Perhaps someone shouldn't be using a form letter.

Apparently this is a result of Sue Skonetski publicizing Robert Thomas's
post here about getting SAMBA to run on OpenVMS 8.1.

I have forwarded that note to some people in HP.

I do not see a problem with the note being posted here though.

It would seem that if someone wanted to sell consulting support for SAMBA on
VMS including IPF, they would be interested in participating in this program.

The attachment was missing because the mailing list strips all but a small
number of attachment types.

Samba seems to run on OpenVMS 8.2 internal releases also, but I have not done
any real testing on it.

There is a bug in the IA64 C compiler on VMS that prevents one of the modules
from compiling that Robert mentioned in his report.

The workaround is to compile that module/OPT=INLINE=NONE

In order to use the cross compiler, I had to change the COMPILE.COM procedure
to not change the symbol definitions for CC and link.

$  ccflags :=/DECC/noLIST/INCLUDE=-
              ([],[.INCLUDE],[.UBIQX],[.SMBWRAPPER],[.tdb],[.popt],[.VMS]) -
                /STANDARD=VAXC/NESTED=PRIMARY/nowarning /PREFIX=ALL  -
                /DEFINE=(WITH_SMBPASSWD_SAM, HAVE_IFACE_IFCONF)/name=SHORTENED

$ compile_mains:
$!
$ ! SRV_SPOOLSS_NT Hack
$ if p2.eqs."" .or. p2.eqs."SRV_SPOOLSS_NT"
$ then
$ filename = "SRV_SPOOLSS_NT"
$ dirname = "RPC_SERVER"
$   Write sys$output "Compiling ''filename' in ''dirname'"
$   CC'ccflags'/OPT=INLINE=NONE [.'dirname']'filename'.c-
	/OBJ=[.'dirname']'filename'.OBJ
$   LIBRARY/REPLACE [.bin]samba.OLB [.'dirname']'filename'.OBJ
$   delete [.'dirname']'filename'.OBJ;*
$ endif

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network