smb.conf issues for 2.2.8

COLLOT Jean-Yves jean-yves.collot at cofiroute.fr
Mon Aug 16 15:04:23 GMT 2004

The template is actually VERY out of date.

With the next release, I'll provide a template that, in addition to be
up-to-date, without unknown parameters, will reflect the way I personally
use Samba, i.e. in a "security=DOMAIN" way, and with an external (Microsoft)
WINS server.

I must admit that I never tried to use Samba with the "wins support = Yes"
option, and I somehow doubt that it would work smoothly. That's why I never
encountered the "dns proxy = Yes" issue, because this parameter is active
only when NMBD works as a WINS server itself.

The problem is (and I apologize for it) that my main concern is to have a
satisfactory Samba Server in my own environment, and my boss would not be
happy if I spent most of my time testing and eventually fixing Samba
features that we don't even dream of using here (and, as far as I know, are
not used anywhere).
When users from the Samba/VMS community encounter problems, I do my best to
help them, and fix the bugs they encounter. Because nobody ever complained
about the WINS server feature not working correctly, even if I suspect it
would not, I infer that nobody uses it, so I forget about it for the moment.
I have definitely no time enough to try everything that can be done with
Samba.

John E. Malmberg said :
> It turns out that the hack in past releases NMBD to change the fork()
> call to return a constant of 0, it appears that might cause NMBD to
> appear to hang.

That is very possible and most probably true, if you say so. However, I have
not experienced it, no user I am aware of experienced it either, and I don't
know what I should do to reproduce that issue. I would need more information
here.

JYC