Another fix for Samba/VMS 2.2.8

Albrecht Schlosser ajs856 at tiscali.de
Tue Aug 10 18:38:51 GMT 2004

COLLOT Jean-Yves wrote:

> As you know, there are dozens of utilities, tools, products, and stuff that
> can be used on a Windows or Linux workstation in conjunction with Samba/VMS,
> so I can hardly try them all in a lifetime...

Yes, I know, and I appreciate your work very much :-)

> Anyway, after your mail, I downloaded this OpenOffice thing, and I am happy
> to tell you that, as far as I can tell, it works nicely with the latest
> Samba/VMS version. No more "repairing" that I could encounter.
>
> So please test yourself, and tell me if you run into any problem.

I'm sorry, but I must tell you that the problem with OpenOffice (1.1.1) didn't
go away :-( . To be precise: I tested with your release of "9-Aug-2004, Another
Variable-length/VFC fix". I'm doing the following:

- open a text document with OpenOffice 1.1.1 on a WinXP (SP1) box
- save the document on the OpenVMS (Alpha) Samba server as *.sxw
- open the same document again, everthing is okay
- delete some text from the middle of the document
- save the document (click the "floppy disk" icon), overwriting [1] the old version
- open the document again, and that's it ...

OpenOffice reports that the document is corrupt and asks if it should repair the
document. I'm sorry that I can't give more info, but if it might help, I would
try to create a document to reproduce the error. Would you like to get such a
document together with instructions to reproduce the problem?
---------------------------
[1] the file is overwritten on the VMS side, at least there is no new (VMS)
version number of the file, and creation/revision date/time differ.

BTW, there is no problem if you write a new file, it's just when overwriting
(modifying) an existing file by saving the modified version, and not when using
"File/save as ...".

Thanks for your help,

regards

Albrecht Schlosser

P.S. I still had to use the extra snprintf.zip/.obj file to link (OpenVMS
V7.2-1). Do you intend to put this into the OLB file, or will this be a separate
file in the future?