Samba 2.2.8 on VMS 7.3-1

Boyce, Nick nick.boyce at eds.com
Wed Sep 24 12:45:01 GMT 2003

On 11.Sep.2003, Jan Anderson wrote :

> Still having difficulty making Samba useable.
> As above.  To an XP box.  No domains involved.
> It now asks for username/password but never authenticates
> for some reason.

We too are unable to get WinXP to map drives to Samba 2.2.x-VMS servers, but
from what I've read on the main samba-technical mailing list (developer chat
list, on which I lurk) this doesn't seem too surprising.  It sounds as if
the developers are still reverse engineering some aspects of the
WinXP-specific extensions to the SMB protocol that Microsoft have made - and
this work is going on with the Samba 3.0 release effort - *not* the 2.2.x
effort.

Here, we've tried encrypted passwords, unencrypted passwords,
packet-signing-and-sealing, etc., etc., but all to no avail - we just get a
variety of bizarre errors reported by XP (e.g. "The device cannot be found",
or the password prompt just repeatedly displayed) after the password has
been supplied to a drive-mapping password prompt.

I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but my advice is to use Win9x
or Win2K workstations instead of WinXP ones, for the time being.

Nick Boyce
EDS Southwest Solution Centre, Bristol, UK