FW: Guest Account settings

Robert F. Thomas rft at asthomas.com
Fri Sep 19 14:35:43 GMT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert F. Thomas [mailto:rft at asthomas.com]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 10:35 AM
To: 'Tillman, Brian (AGRE)'
Subject: RE: Guest Account settings

The use of accounts reserved to other applications is generally not a good
idea.  UCX$NOBODY and TCPIP$NOBODY are reserved by DEC/COMPAQ/HP.

SAMBA_GUEST makes the account's purpose self documenting.  Processes using
this account are thus immediately known as SAMBA related processes.

This was only a suggestion and not a requirement.

It is the same logic for not creating logical assignments starting with
SYS$, etc.

Sincerely,
Robert F. Thomas
A. S. Thomas, Inc.