Guest Account settings

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Sep 19 00:40:23 GMT 2003

Tillman, Brian (AGRE) wrote:
> What are the proper settings for the account to be used as the "guest
> account" in the SMB.CONF file?

The critical ones that I know of are:

It must have READ/WRITE access to SAMBA_ROOT:[VAR].

It must have a default directory that it has permission to read and
write to.

It should not need any additional privileges to my knowledge, and I do
not think any of the quotas are used.  The password does not matter, and
I do not think it needs to be enabled for any mode of login.

Depending on the specifics of the SAMBA implementation, the DISUSER
setting may or may not matter.  It probably does not.

And this is not really a GUEST account, it is used by SAMBA for many
routine IPC functions.

I would not use the UCX$NOBODY or TCPIP$NOBODY for this purpose, I would
use a dedicated account.  My suggestion would be SAMBA__GUEST.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network