Not really out of disk space problem (was Re: deafening silence...)

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Sep 17 23:37:41 GMT 2003

Tim Oakley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since i posted a problem last friday,  the silence has been deafening.
> Has no one else encountered the problem i described ?

I saw reports of it intermittantly a long time ago with a Microsoft NT
Server.

> I include the text of my original message below:
>
> best regards
>
> ******************************
> I have a perplexing problem which i will try to explain simply....
>
> I was running Samba2.2.7a (2nd release) on a vms7.2-2 machine.
> Everything worked fine.
>
> I updated the server to vms7.3-1 and installed the 'vms731_update_v1' &
> 'vms731_rms_v4' eco's.
>
> I reinstalled Samba2.2.7a on the updated system to ensure the 'link.com'
> would use the newly installed RTLs.
>
> All was OK except for one user (USER1) whose pc app no longer worked.
> The app basically takes a text file from a samba share and sends it down
> a modem line to an automated banking service. The app failed saying that
> there was insufficient space on the samba share drive, which was not
> true. I think the app tries to create a temporary  file on the samba share.

I have not worked directly with SAMBA for a while, but sometimes such
problems are caused by applications seeing more than 2 GB free, or some
number like that.

A temporary workaround for that problem is to put a big file on the
share so that the free space appears smaller, until an updated
application is available.

To further diagnose this problem would either require a packet sniffer
trace or a debug log, and if it is not obvious from that, would require
some assistance from someone familiar with the code.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network