deafening silence...

Tim Oakley toakley at mailhost.maury-imprimeur.fr
Wed Sep 17 12:40:03 GMT 2003

Hi,

Since i posted a problem last friday,  the silence has been deafening.
Has no one else encountered the problem i described ?

I include the text of my original message below:

best regards

******************************
I have a perplexing problem which i will try to explain simply....

I was running Samba2.2.7a (2nd release) on a vms7.2-2 machine.
Everything worked fine.

I updated the server to vms7.3-1 and installed the 'vms731_update_v1' &
'vms731_rms_v4' eco's.

I reinstalled Samba2.2.7a on the updated system to ensure the 'link.com'
would use the newly installed RTLs.

All was OK except for one user (USER1) whose pc app no longer worked.
The app basically takes a text file from a samba share and sends it down
a modem line to an automated banking service. The app failed saying that
there was insufficient space on the samba share drive, which was not
true. I think the app tries to create a temporary  file on the samba share.

The user log file contained the following messages:

[2003/09/12 14:54:05, 0]
DISK$SWAP:[JYC.SAMBA.WORK.SOURCE.VMS]VMS_SUPPORT.C;260:
(391)
    vms_statfs: $GETDVI ERROR for disk$edito^:^[pbbnp.virement^].: sts =
00000144,
   iosb = 00000144
[2003/09/12 14:54:05, 0]
DISK$SWAP:[JYC.SAMBA.WORK.SOURCE.SMBD]DFREE.C;2:(142)
    WARNING: dfree is broken on this system
[2003/09/12 14:54:34, 0]
DISK$SWAP:[JYC.SAMBA.WORK.SOURCE.VMS]VMS_SUPPORT.C;260:
(391)
    vms_statfs: $GETDVI ERROR for disk$edito^:^[pbbnp.virement^].: sts =
00000144,
   iosb = 00000144
[2003/09/12 14:58:36, 0]
DISK$SWAP:[JYC.SAMBA.WORK.SOURCE.VMS]VMS_SUPPORT.C;260:
(391)
    vms_statfs: $GETDVI ERROR for disk$edito^:^[pbbnp.virement^].: sts =
00000144,
   iosb = 00000144

Knowing that i had a new version of samba waiting to be installed i
performed the install of samba2.2.8 (same vms server).

USER1 problem was solved by the samba update but another groups of users
app started failing.
The app reported that it was unable to create temporary files in the
samba share.
Outside of the app I can create the problem by opening the samba share
folder in the windows explorer, click right and choose 'NEW', 'TEXT
DOCUMENT'. Windows gives me an 'access violation' error but creates the
empty,new file anyway. From what i can gather the app tries to do
roughly the same thing but fails when it recieves the error status;

The samba log file shows:

[2003/09/12 12:35:58, 0]
DISK$SWAP:[JYC.SAMBA.SAMBA-2_2_8-SRC.SOURCE.SMBD]OPEN.C
;13:(199)
    Error doing fstat on open file vac/Nouveau Texte seulement.txt (no
such file o
r directory)
[2003/09/12 12:37:05, 0]
DISK$SWAP:[JYC.SAMBA.SAMBA-2_2_8-SRC.SOURCE.PASSDB]PDB_
SMBPASSWD.C;4:(1418)
    unable to open passdb database.
[2003/09/12 12:43:50, 0]
DISK$SWAP:[JYC.SAMBA.SAMBA-2_2_8-SRC.SOURCE.SMBD]OPEN.C
;13:(199)
    Error doing fstat on open file vac/Nouveau dossier/TESTDIR.TMP (no
such file o
r directory)
SAMBA1#

The last in the log error is the result of clicking right and chossing
'NEW','FOLDER'.

So whichever version of samba i use on the vms server, i have problems.
The common denominator seems to be vms731 + the above mentioned ecos.

   Tim OAKLEY

   MAURY-IMPRIMEUR SA,
   Z.I, ROUTE D'ETAMPES
   45330 MALESHERBES