Authenicating using Windows 2003 AD and VMS 7.3-1

Nails, Dana dnails at jscc.edu
Fri Sep 5 16:23:56 GMT 2003

I am very new to using SAMBA and with the assistance of a few people on this
list I was able to successfully get SAMBA 2.28.
setup. I am on VMS 7.3-1 with Multinet ver. 4.4a and very thankful for your
assistance.

Since I was able to get SAMBA set up we have upgraded from a WinNT domain to
Windows 2003 Active directory. Since this upgrade I can not get
authentication to work.  I have installed new. I have rejoined the domain.
However when I try to join the domain with  a user I get the following
message.

Error connecting to w2k3netsvc1 - NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Unable to join domain JSCC.

When I do not put the "-U" on the command of  mc samba_root:[bin]smbpasswd
-j dom -r PDC
I get the following message

2003/09/05 10:24:18 : change_trust_account_password: Changed password for
domain
 JSCC.
Joined domain JSCC.

I am using the following smb.conf  file which authenicates using a username
map file.
[global]
   client code page = 437
   workgroup = JSCC
   netbios name = alpha1
   security = domain
   password server = w2k3netsvc1
   guest account = samba__guest
   map to guest = Bad User
   username map = /SAMBA_ROOT/LIB/smbusers.dat
;   log file = /samba_root/var/log.%m
   preferred master = no
   local master = no
   domain master = no
   wins server = 172.16.1.12
   encrypt passwords = yes
   browse list = yes
   hosts allow = 172.30. 172.16.
   oplocks = no
   level2 oplocks = no
   default service = default

[frs]
   comment = FRSfiles
   path = /jscc$dkd3/frs
   read only = yes
   guest ok = yes

 [hrs]
   comment = hrsfiles
   path = /jscc$dkd3/hrs
   read only = yes
   valid users = jdoe msmith

My smbusers.dat file looks like this...

Vms	   AD
jdoe = john.doe
msmith = mary.smith
bwilliams = becky.williams

When I open the files up to the public like in the FRS we can browse and do
what every we need to do. When I put a valid users =   and try to access I
get a logon box. I have tried to use domain username and alpha username and
neither will allow me to log in.
This is the message in the log.smbd file.
domain_client_validate: could not fetch trust account password for domain
JSCC
[2003/09/05 10:59:22, 0]
DISK$SWAP:[JYC.SAMBA.SAMBA-2_2_8-SRC.SOURCE.PASSDB]PDB_
SMBPASSWD.C;4:(1369)

Any help or assistance anyone can give as stated before will be and is very
much appreciated.

Thanks

Dana Nails
Jackson State Community College