vms_tdb performance against unexpected.tdb

Dave Jones JONESD at er6s1.eng.ohio-state.edu
Fri Oct 24 15:38:19 GMT 2003

In a previous thread, I noted the performance degradation brought about by
excessive I/O's in scanning unexpected.tdb.  Over time, the contiual adding and
deleting of records by nmbd to this file makes sequential scanning of the
records extremely inefficient.  At first, I thought the problem was just the
index tree becoming fragmented, but further study shows that it is the deleted
data records themselves causing the problem.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to clean up the data area on an open
file.  You have to convert/reclaim the file (which requires exclusive access).

David L. Jones               |      Phone:    (614) 292-6929
Ohio State University        |      Internet:
140 W. 19th St. Rm. 231a     |               jonesd at er6s1.eng.ohio-state.edu
Columbus, OH 43210           |               vman+ at osu.edu

Disclaimer: I'm looking for marbles all day long.