Samba 2.2.8 not starting

Carl Perkins CARL at gerg.tamu.edu
Wed May 14 13:23:15 GMT 2003

>>NMBD is a service.  It should be created each time someone requests access,
>>just like the FTP server.  It's not supposed to hang around.

This is not correct.

The SMBD is a service. The SMBD service defined in your IP stack
configuration runs the SMBD_STARTUP.COM to create the SMBD when needed.

The NMBD is not a service. Look at your SAMBA_STARTUP.COM file and you'll
see that it creates the NMBD as a detached process. This is normally run
only once, at system boot. You should not have an NMBD service defined
that runs this (or the samba_exe:nmbd_startup.com that it uses as its
input, either) - I'm not sure what would happen, but it couldn't be good.

>So, I don't know what I'm talking about.  It's happened before.  Perhaps one
>day I'll learn.

Well, in this case you were right.

>By the way, NMBD also fails on a VAX V7.2 system running Multinet V4.4
>unless the "-i" option is used.
>--
>Brian Tillman         Internet: Brian.Tillman at smiths-aerospace dot com

This is all very strange.

--- Carl