smbfs reads Variable files incorrectly from VMS Samba 2.2.8

Ben Armstrong ben at bgpc.dymaxion.ca
Fri Mar 28 17:40:14 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 13:45, COLLOT Jean-Yves wrote:
> The 2.2.8 version for VMS is available at
> http://www.pi-net.dyndns.org/anonymous/jyc/
>
> It includes the Unix version 2.2.8, and some specific VMS fixes :
> - Unexpected changes of file structure (VARIABLE to STREAM) and modification
> date

Thanks!  While this does fix the file attribute corruption problem both
with Linux smbfs access and Windows XP "Attributes" access, it
unfortunately leaves Variable record format files unreadable under
Linux.  That is, when you view or copy the file over smbfs, you can see
the word line-lengths in it, and you don't get any line terminators.
Oddly enough, under Windows XP text files look just fine, so I don't
know why Samba 2.2.8 is discriminating against Linux smbfs.

Ben
--
      Ben Armstrong                -.       Medianet Development Group,
      BArmstrong at dymaxion.ca         `-.    Dymaxion Research Limited