Compiling SAMBA with better options

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Mar 28 16:39:16 GMT 2003

From: "B. Z. Lederman" wrote:

>     I've been looking more at the source code and the way it's
>  compiled.
>
> /STANDARD=VAXC is really not a good choice.  It covers up too
>  many real and potential problems in the code.

Use /STANDARD=PORTABLE.  Do not use /STANDARD=VAXC

Use /WARN=ENABLE=(LEVEL4, QUESTCODE) for the diagnostic level.

You can use more strict /STANDARD or /warn and other checking if you
wish, but the two settings above are the minimum needed to both find
common bugs, and to be compatable with common programming practices.

If the /warn=enable=(LEVEL4, QUESTCODE) and /STANDARD=PORTABLE does not
compile a UNIX samba module, try it again by adding /ACCEPT=NOVAXC

If that does not fix it, then update the source and send a explanation
of the bug fix allong with a submit a gdiff -u output of the change to
the SAMBA-TECHNICAL list so it can be fixed in the source for all platforms.

If you have not submitted patches to the SAMBA-TECHNICAL list before, I
recommend posting just the lines that you think needing fixing both old
and new to this list for review.  Please be brief.

>     There is also a question of what to do with names that are
>  longer than 31 characters.

I put #define statements in the config.h or equivalent.

Having the names truncated will cause duplicate symbol errors in SAMBA.

The only thing that I can find in the standard is that only 8 characters
  for external names are guaranteed to be available on all platforms,
and obviously most code needs more than that.

The other option is to allow the compiler to mangle names.  I prefer not
to do that as then I can not always predict what name will show up in
the debugger.  Particularly if the demangle database is cleared.

> [SAMBA-2_2_7A-SRC.SOURCE.SMBD] CLOSE.C
>
>     because it calls sys$open, sys$close, etc. without the
>  functions being defined.  Modules that call these functions are
>  better off if they #include <starlet.h> to define the function
>  prototypes. There are a couple of other modules where this should
>  be done.

I personally find that the #include files for the system service modules
to not be accurate because they do not use the "const" modifier where
they should and they tend to use "void *", which will accept anything
with out a complaint.

So I usually prototype the system services manually, like I did in
Frontport.  That way the compiler is more likely to find bugs.

The use of the "const" modifier on variables passed by address also
allows the compiler to optimize more effienciently, which means faster
and smaller code.  It's use should be greatly encouraged.

An unknown person wrote: (post is not in the digest)

> | I quite agree with your remarks, but I fear that you seem to forget a very
> | important point : Samba/VMS is a port from a quite complicated software that
> | comes from Unix, and is quite often updated. If you multiply the "#ifdef"
> | for VMS specifics, you begin to have a lot of work each time a new release
> | comes in, if you want to follow the Unix updates. So I tend to limit the VMS
> | specific changes to truly functional ones, not for the intellectual benefit
> | of removing warning or informational messages.

That is why I did the SAMBA 2.0.6 port the way I did.  Amost no #ifdef
__VMS is in the code.  Carl Perkins has supplied me with a fix to
Frontport that probably eliminates all but one of the #ifdef __VMS.

Use of the compiler options that I listed earlier should allows SAMBA to
compile unless there is a real bug in the source code.

I add a /DEFINE=(MOD_modulename) to the MMS C compiler rule so that I
can put things that are specific to a module in the config.h or
equivalent.  That way I can override a local routine with out having to
edit any source code.

The MMS definition is below, and it is easy to do this with DCL command
procedures.

MODN =MOD_'f$element(0,"-",f$parse("$*",,,"NAME"))'

So in the config.h or equivalent, (Since I am now generating the
config.h from a command procedure that knows how to read the config.h.in
and configure.in files, and search the DECC images and libraries, I now
put all the manual edits in config_vms.h)

#ifdef MOD_LOADPARM
    /* Change the name for a VMS specific wrapper */
   /*--------------------------------------------*/
#define lp_load samba_lp_load
#endif

This allows me to scan the VMS specific SAMBA logical names every time
that SAMBA scans the smb.conf file for changes.

And if a module informational diagnostics that I do not want to
submit a fix for, I can supress those on a per module basis.

#ifdef MOD_IPC
  /* suppress messages about using -1 as third arg to SSVALS() macro */
#pragma message disable intconstsign
#endif

This is a case where they are using a -1 instead of 0xFFFFFFF.  The
problem with fixing this is that the size of an unsigned int is platform
specific, so it really should be ~0 instead.  However if I remember
correclty that also generates a diagnostic.

So I just supress the diagnostic for now.

An unknown person wrote: (post is not in the digest)

> | them on the Internet. I was not too much enthusiast, but I eventually
> | agreed, and since then I try to do my best to help other users who encounter
> | problems. May I say that since the beginning of this Samba/VMS version (more
> | or less 1 year ago), not a single problem was due to the /STAND=VAXC option

The /STANDARD=VAXC option is not required for the UNIX SAMBA code, and
should not be required for any code that is currently being actively
maintained.  Consider /STANDARD=VAXC as equivalent to "Ignore common
bugs and hope that the compiler does the right thing"

VAX C was written before the C language was fully standardized, and it
allows a lot of what is now considered very bad practices to be compiled.

There are many things in the C standard where the behavior is either
compiler specific, or undefined.  A C compiler is not required to
diagnose those conditions.  The /WARN=ENABLE=(LEVEL4, QUESTCODE) will
detect those issues.

The QUESTCODE setting will even detect common programming errors like
using "==" where you meant "=", and tries to detect the reverse.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network