resend: Compiling SAMBA with better options

B. Z. Lederman lederman at Encompasserve.org
Fri Mar 28 11:44:45 GMT 2003

| I quite agree with your remarks, but I fear that you seem to forget a very
| important point : Samba/VMS is a port from a quite complicated software that
| comes from Unix, and is quite often updated. If you multiply the "#ifdef"
| for VMS specifics, you begin to have a lot of work each time a new release
| comes in, if you want to follow the Unix updates. So I tend to limit the VMS
| specific changes to truly functional ones, not for the intellectual benefit
| of removing warning or informational messages.

    I do know where the code comes from, and I'm not proposing the
 addition of any #ifdef s at all.

    The modules that should be including STARLET.H are VMS only or
 are already conditionalized for VMS, because only VMS-specific
 code will be calling sys$open, sys$truncate, etc.

    As for the other warnings: they are indications of problems in
 the common code.  Comparing an unsigned integer to a signed value
 is something that should not be done on any platform.  The
 OpenVMS C compiler is warning of things that should be fixed on
 all platforms in the common code.

| them on the Internet. I was not too much enthusiast, but I eventually
| agreed, and since then I try to do my best to help other users who encounter
| problems. May I say that since the beginning of this Samba/VMS version (more
| or less 1 year ago), not a single problem was due to the /STAND=VAXC option
| ?

    I'm sure your efforts are appreciated. Unfortunately, you
 can't be sure you don't have problems due to the compiler
 options. Compiling /STAND=VAXC means that warning messages about
 code that could be causing problems are not seen.  You are also
 losing out on improvements the compiler can make to the code.

    I'm trying to make the results of my compilation run available
 to everyone who wants it.  I hope someone would know how to pass
 back the information to the people who are 'responsible' for the
 common code so the major problems can be fixed.

    I also think the improved compiler switches would be good for
 everybody running on OpenVMS.