Problem with VMS_SUPPORT.C

COLLOT Jean-Yves Jean-Yves.COLLOT at cofiroute.fr
Thu Mar 27 13:58:12 GMT 2003

Hi.

Could you give me a copy of the full line (or lines) of the log where the
error appears ? It should look like "$GETDVI ERROR for xxx: sts = nnn,
iosb=yyy"

You are right that GETDVIW should be better than GETDVI, but this is clearly
not the point. In addition, you CAN use a full file spec for $GETDVI, so
it's not the point either. The addressing mode of the iosb is OK too.

Actually, there is probably something specific on your site that makes some
bug appear, because this problem does not appear here or anywhere else as
far as I know. Anyway, I need the full error message to work on it.

> Why would you need to retrieve this information when reading files? It
> seems to me that SAMBA is doing a lot of unnecessary work here.

Well, it is very true that SOMEONE is doing unnecessary work, but it's not
SAMBA.
Samba is just a server, and does what the client asks it to do. If Samba
retrieves the nb of free blocks, the only reason is that the client asked
for it. Sure, the client has no understandable reason to do so, but it did.
I think that in the Windows World, there is enough wonder in just observing
what is done. Trying to understand WHY it's done is far too much for me.
As an example, when you just right-click "Properties" on a file on the XP
Explorer, it sends to Samba more than 10 consecutive requests to open that
file, and one of those open requests is in WRITE mode !