Which version of VMS Samba?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Mar 7 15:29:25 GMT 2003

Chris Townley <Chris.Townley at spicers.network> wrote:

> I am a little confused at to which version of Samba I should be using to
> run on mixed clusters of VAX VMS 7.3 and Alpha VMS 6.2
>
> I have 2.0.6 from the Freeware CD, and I have downloaded 2.2.7a at home
> onto a hobbyist 7.3 Alpha.
> Version 2.2.7a seems to need at least VMS 7 which could cause me a few
> issues.  However I understand there are issues with 2.0.6 with Win 2000

Currently the 2.0.6 also requires at least OpenVMS 7.1.  So in that case
you would be probably better off with the 2.2.7 which has more active
support.  I do plan to release an enhanced version of FRONTPORT and that
may also include a 2.0.10 release of SAMBA simply because it would be an
easy thing to do.  However the 2.2.7 is running circles around the 2.0.x
version.

The issues for getting FRONTPORT/SAMBA 2.0.6 to build on older releases
of OpenVMS are not that major.  Just some oversights on my part since I
did not test on anything older than 7.1.

You might be able to get 2.0.3 running on the older release of OpenVMS.
  That may have the same Windows 2000 issues, and requires plain text
passwords.

I also do not know how hard it would be to get the 2.2.7 release to
build on older versions of OpenVMS.

> The reason I am looking at Samba is to do with the Win 2000 and XP
> issues with Pathworks - Samba might be an easier way out.

I am not up to date on all the issues with Pathworks or Advanced Server,
but I do understand that the current versions are compatable with
Windows 2000.  Official support is available for Pathworks Advanced Server.

With Pathworks / Advanced Server, I would not recommend running less
than the 6.x release, and I would make it a resource domain that trusts
the Microsoft domain to simplify the security model.

> Any advice welcomed

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network