Detecting directory changes.

COLLOT Jean-Yves Jean-Yves.COLLOT at cofiroute.fr
Thu Mar 6 09:03:54 GMT 2003

(about F11X$POSIX_FASTRDSEQNOS) :
> I am trying to find out how stable that internal routine is.  I am
> trying to see if a supported interface can be developed to either give
> notification on change, or a way to detect changes in the directory.

As did Dave Jones (thanks again to him), I looked into the source of this
internal VMS routine, and it looks OK to me. As I said in a previous
message, it is not supported on VAX (VMS 7.1, which is the only version I
have access) : it returns a "SYSYEM-E-UNSUPPORTED" status.

I used Dave's example for testing and I am very satisfied with it, so I now
use it very successfully for directory cache validity checking in Samba-Vms
(for the VAX version, I keep the 30 seconds validity time-out).