SAMBA 2.2.4 or 2.2.7a and broken pipe

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Mar 1 17:42:55 GMT 2003

From: linden at msia02.msi.sweden
   (Carl Gunnar Linden, MSL Stockholm Sweden.) wrote:

 >  I am running OpenVMS V7.3 and
 >  Compaq TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.3 - ECO 1
 >
 >  I try to run SAMBA 2.2.4 or 2.2.7a. It works with TCPIP V5.3-18 but
 > I think it stopped working since I applied the TCPIP_ECO V5.3-181
 > patch.
<snip>

 > Has anybody else seen something like this and what is a broken pipe?

A broken pipe indicates a general connection problem.  By it self it is
not useful to tell you what the problem is.

I would try the nmblookup (OpenVMS), NET VIEW (DOS Command prompt) tests
to see if you can get information that way.

There is a file diagnostic.txt that should be in the SAMBA distribution
that describes how isolate some of these problems.  You can get a copy
of it at http://www.samba.org.

The other thing to do is to increase the error level for the SMBD
process.  Previous versions of SAMBA allowed this to be done by defining
a SYSTEM wide logical.

SAMBA 2.0.6 allows the smbd process to be run interactively so that
these tests can be more easily run.  I do not know if the SAMBA 2.2.x
branch has this ability.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network