How Trbsht: intermittent write_socket_data: write failure. Error = broken pipe

RR - Rod Regier RRegier at dymaxion.ca
Wed Jun 11 12:27:09 GMT 2003

(background info available at the end)

Problem:
--------
We would like to transition our VMS file sharing support From Pathworks
to the latest VMS/Alpha SAMBA release (2.2.8A SE), but have encountered
problems.

When we test SAMBA from a single workstation, it functions consistently.
However, if we test with multiple simultaneously active workstations
accessing the server running SAMBA, we get multiple intermittent
low-level
IP I/O errors:

		write_socket_data: write failure. Error = broken pipe

We can successfully revert to Pathworks operations without
restarting the VMS node on which we trialed SAMBA.

Socket write failures are not a class of problem we have
tried to resolve before, so we're not even certain about the
direction to focus on.

Some of the areas we're guessing could contribute to
this class of problem:

- Process level VMS resource limits
- VMS IP stack resource or table limits
- LAN "glue" issues (NICs, switches)
- PDC resource limits

Can someone suggest where we should be focusing on to
troubleshoot this condition, and possible tools to
diagnose/test for the underlying problem?

The following is an extract from a SAMBA level 3 debug output log
for a failed user signon.  This user has succeeded in
signing on to the same Samba setup on the same network
at a different time,
so this is an apparent intermittent load/resource problem.

Domain=[WILMA]  NativeOS=[Windows 2000 2195] NativeLanMan=[Windows 2000
5.0]
sesssetupX:name=[ja]
getpwnam: name = "WILMA\ja"
getpwnam: name = "ja"
get_uai: for username = "ja"
Convert to UNIX: DYM$USRACCT:[JA] -> /dym$usracct/ja
UNIX path: /dym$usracct/ja
get_uai: $getuai returns UIC = 000200DA
         priv = 00108000 00000000
write_socket_data: write failure. Error = broken pipe
write_socket: Error writing 176 bytes to socket 6: ERRNO = broken pipe
Error writing 176 bytes to client. -1 (broken pipe)
password server NTFS rejected the password
startsmbfilepwent_internal: unable to open file
/samba_root/private/smbpasswd.dat. Error was no such file or directory
unable to open passdb database.
Couldn't find user 'ja' in passdb.
NT Password did not match for user 'ja'!
Defaulting to Lanman password for ja
startsmbfilepwent_internal: unable to open file
/samba_root/private/smbpasswd.dat. Error was no such file or directory
unable to open passdb database.
Couldn't find user 'ja' in passdb.
Rejecting user 'ja': authentication failed
error string = no such file or directory
error packet at
DISK$SWAP:[JYC.SAMBA.SAMBA-2_2_8-SRC.SOURCE.SMBD]REPLY.C;3(1035) cmd=115
(SMBsesssetupX) NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Transaction 42 of length 39
switch message SMBtdis (pid 33429)
setting sec ctx (0, 0) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 0
vms_setuid: uid = 00000000

Background:
-----------

My site is presently running Pathworks V5.0F ECO2 plus XP patch
on VMS/Alpha V7.1-2, TCPIP 5.1 ECO 4 on a DS10-466 w/1.1G main memory
on ODS-2 shadow set configured disks.
Much of the LAN is running at 100BT.

Here is an extract from the SMB.CONF file:

[global]
        workgroup = WILMA
        netbios name = DYMA
        security = SERVER
        password server = ntfs
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        log file = /samba_log/log.%m
        deadtime = 10
        printcap name = /sys$manager/ucx$printcap.dat
        default service = default
        guest account = DYMAX
        create mask = 0777
        print command = print
%f/queue=%p/delete/passall/name="""""%s"""""
        lprm command = delete/entry=%j
        map archive = No
        share modes = No

--
Rod Regier, Software Development           bus: (902)422-1973 x108
Dymaxion Research Ltd., 5515 Cogswell St., fax: (902)421-1267
Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3J 1R2 Canada    mailto:RRegier at dymaxion.ca
                                               http://www.dymaxion.ca
"VMS is today what Microsoft wants Windows NT V8.0 to be!" Compaq,
22-Sep-1998