Samba Documentation

Boyce, Nick nick.boyce at eds.com
Wed Jul 2 15:03:10 GMT 2003

Paul,

1)  Your symptom description came through to me as :

    This works sometimes,  but then I get

     <<...OLE_Obj...>>

I guess your "OLE_Obj" didn't make it through our firewall.  Please either
(a) attach it as a (small please !) graphic image file, or (b) just tell us
what the error message was in text.

2)  Doing what you say you want to - editing/saving MS Office files directly
onto a VMS network-mapped SMB drive from a Windows PC *application* - is
fraught with danger & difficulty.  Firstly, it seems that MS Office apps use
weird & undocumented SMB protocol packets to fiddle with their files when on
network drives (i.e. I think the implication is that they're network aware),
so much so that even Samba-for-Unix has trouble obeying all the possible MS
Office requests.  Secondly: Samba-for-VMS has problems of its own with the
way *some* Windows applications open/update/save files on network drives -
to do with the difference between "sequential stream" and "sequential
variable" files (I think), and to do with whether or not Samba can deduce
which type of file it should write, *and* set the right file type within the
VMS filesystem.

I think the upshot is that you probably shouldn't try doing what you say you
want - instead, use Excel to update the spreadsheet on a local Windows drive
- then simply *copy* the spreadsheet file to a Samba-for-VMS drive - this
works fine for everybody.

Disclaimer: I'm not a VMS sysadmin - just a lurking Unix one.  Hopefully
some of the VMS folks can help you better, or tell us where I'm wrong.

Nick Boyce
EDS Southwest Solution Centre, Bristol, UK