SAMBA 2.2.4 performance vs Pathworks V5 in same enviro

RR - Rod Regier RRegier at dymaxion.ca
Mon Jan 27 14:10:48 GMT 2003

Sylvain Plante wrote:

> About the poor performance if you compared it to Pathworks.
> A Samba server on Unix is also 4 times faster the a Samba
> OpenVMS Server. =20 It is also Twice as fast to Export your
> Disk with NFS to a Unix Samba Server and then access it from
> Windows . And I'm talking about 2.2.7a =20 There is room for
> performance improvement.

I would not be investigating SAMBA if I could successfully export
a VMS file system thru a NFS gateway on NT with user-level granularity.

Alas, there are no NIS, NIS+ or LDAP apps for VMS, and VMS does not
carry
its user/password structures in an open text file.  That would seem to
preclude
the known technologies for easily/maintainable getting user-level
granularity
on a NFS gated export.

Jan-Erik S=F6derholm writes:

> Note that there are huge performance improvments in the
> *latest* Samba version for VMS, 2.2.7a.
>
> Is there some special reason *not* to use the latest version ?

2.2.7a doesn't work for me on two different I/H servers.

I'm privately iterating w/JYC, the implementer.

(Tried both 2.2.7a releases)