Samba consumes a lot of resources

Claude Marinier claude.marinier at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Jan 20 14:36:49 GMT 2003

Carl,

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Carl Perkins wrote:
> >It takes 8 seconds to open my home directory which has 413 files
> >(including sub-directories, i.e. *.DIR files).
>
> This is not very slow, considering that the hardware you are using is
> old.

Agreed. This is a good time: it is about as fast as ViewNow NFS client
with MultiNet NFS server. Your observations about the relative speed of
the DEC 3000 Model 600 are correct and relevant. I was not overly
concerned about that; I am much more concerned about the smbd process that
went wild and consumed all those resources.

The improvements in Samba performance are noted and appreciated. Merci
Jean-Yves and others.

> As for what works and what doesn't...
>
> 3 things that I know do not work for me with version 2.2.7a:

I suspect that MS Windows will create and then rename a file. Samba seems
to have a problem with that. But I am speculating.

I copied a file (C source code) from the VMS system to the PC and was able
to edit it with GVIM. I could not copy it back to the VMS system: "File
exists". Oops! the VMS system is bogged down with another rogue smbd. This
time, I have 100% CPU usage by SMBD_ANTIOCH-SP (last time there was a lot
of I/O).

--
Claude Marinier, Information Technology
Defence Research & Development Canada (Ottawa)
claude.marinier at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
http://www.ottawa.drdc-rddc.gc.ca