Upgrading OpenVMS.

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Jan 17 19:37:06 GMT 2003

Kenneth Lang wrote:

> Thanx for everyones in put on this problem.  I did get it solved.  For those
> who are interested,  I got lead to move the scsi from the PCI slot up one slot
> to a briged pci slot.  Once I moved the card the install when just fine.
>
> The only thing on that card is an external Tape drive and the CD player, why
> that solved the problem I will never know.  This may be only limited to the
> Workstation series.

Some PCI cards do not play well with others.  Particularly when you
drive them at a high I/O rates.

Some PCI buses also may have restrictions.  These may show up more often
on 64 bit data paths.

The drivers on OpenVMS are continually being improved, and it is
possible that an improvement in some driver exposed a previously unknown
weakness in the bus configuration, or another driver.

You did not mention if this was a known restriction that you were not
previously aware of, or something that has just been discovered.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network