Samba For VMS Upgrade 1.9 To 2.0.3

Gaynor Bennett GaynorBennett at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 15 21:38:55 GMT 2003

I have been successfully running Samba 1.9 binary for some time.  It seems
to run very slowly and so I have now upgraded to version 2.0.3.  I am using
the same smb.conf as before but I can no longer get any shares to work from
networked pcs.  They ask for a user/password that always fails. I always get
the messages as shown at the end of this mail when trying smbclient from the
alpha host.  I have checked the hosts allow/deny etc. as per the
documentation but cannot find the cause of this.  Any help would be
appreciated.
Many thanks
John

Alpha>smbclient "-L" walkx3
Added interface ip=194.194.194.9 bcast=194.194.194.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Server time is Wed Jan 15 21:33:42 2003
Timezone is UTC+0.0
Domain=[WALKER] OS=[OpenVMS] Server=[Samba 2.0.3]
connected as guest security=share
SMBtconX failed. ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a
Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
Perhaps you are using the wrong sharename, username or password?
Some servers insist that these be in uppercase