Samba-VMS 2.2.4 moves up to 2.2.7a

jean-yves.collot at cofiroute.fr jean-yves.collot at cofiroute.fr
Thu Jan 2 12:34:23 GMT 2003

Hi.

As a new year gift, you can now download and use Samba-VMS in version
2.2.7a, at the usual site (http://www.pi-net.dyndns.org/anonymous/jyc/).
This is the latest "stable" (as they say) release available for Unix.

In addition, and from a strict VMS point of vue, this version gives some
enhancements and bug fixes compared to the last 2.2.4.

Performances are once more quite better, essentially for browsing.
For those of you who used the last 2.2.4 version, where I introduced a
logical name (SAMBA_REAL_FILE_SIZE), this logical name has been suppressed.
Now, the size of Variable and VFC files is computed only when needed, i.e.
when the file is actually opened, so it no longer slow down the browsing.
Performances are better too because I added a memory cache for directory
contents.
In my opinion, Samba-VMS is now quite good for browsing and for accesing
files. However, I must admit that other actions remain quite slow
(especially deleting files). I have no planning for enhancing that for the
moment.

There is a bunch of bug fixes, too :

- Correct handling of VFC files (some NULL characters persisted to appear
sometimes)
- SMBD infinite loop removed, on some cases when there was a great number of
client connects/disconnects
- You can now share the root (000000) directory of a concealed device (i.e.
/samba_root/000000)
- When sharing something defined with a search list (i.e.
/sys$sysroot/sysmgr), you can now see and browse all directories, including
those on the first elements of the search list
- when there was a file named ".;1" in a directory, this directory could not
be browsed
- "encrypted passwords" has been set to "Yes" by default

I hope that you'll enjoy this new version.

Best wishes to all.

Jean-Yves COLLOT