Link of samba-2.2.7a on VAX/VMS-7.1

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Feb 14 12:35:49 GMT 2003

georges.bert at Lafarge-Ciments.Lafarge.company wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to link the JYC version samba-2.2.7a on a VAX/VMS-7.1 without any C compiler.
> The link script gives me the following error messages :
>
> $ @link_vax "" smbd
> Linking SMBD
> %LINK-W-NUDFSYMS, 1 undefined symbol:
> %LINK-I-UDFSYM,         DECC$FCNTL
> %LINK-W-USEUNDEF, undefined symbol DECC$FCNTL referenced
>         in psect $CODE offset %X0000018B
>         in module SYSTEM file DKA300:[GBERT.TMP.SOURCE.BIN]SAMBA.OLB;5
> %LINK-W-USEUNDEF, undefined symbol DECC$FCNTL referenced
>         in psect $CODE offset %X000001BF
>         in module SYSTEM file DKA300:[GBERT.TMP.SOURCE.BIN]SAMBA.OLB;5
>
> The libraries available in the sys$library directory are those following :
Not relevant.

The .OLB files are not used normally when building programs, unless you
have a special reason for using them instead of the more efficient
shared images.

> I have not been able to find elsewhere neither a decc$fcntl function nor a replacement one.
> If someone has an idea on how to get around this problem, ...
>
> Thank you in advance,                     Georges

This may or may not be able to solve your problem.  On the OpenVMS
Freeware 5.0 CD-ROM there is a FRONTPORT directory.  See
HTTP://www.openvms.compaq.com/ for a download.

In that kit there is a fake fcntl() function that simulates most of the
functionality of the later fcntl() that is built into the later OpenVMS
versions.

However neither the fake fcntl() or the build in fcntl() in the later
OpenVMS versions provide real locking.  The fport__fcntl() routine does
support RMS locks for RMS files, but you should read the Frontport
documentation before using the fport__fcntl().

You are obviously in uncharted teritory, so there may be other issues,
and you will probably need a C compiler to make changes.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network