Installing Samba on VMS 7.3-1 using Multinet 4.4a

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Aug 15 21:01:26 GMT 2003

Nails, Dana wrote:
> I have been trying to configure Samba for days on our Alpha system. What we
> are wanting to do is store print files on our alpha and be able to view them
> through Word, Notepad, etc using Samba.  We have an NT Domain. Every user
> has a domain account and an alpha account. I have been able to set up a
> share and see the share but I can not look or browse the files.  Any
> suggestions to fix this problem.

I do not recall seeing any response to this here, which is rare.  The
newsgroup comp.os.vms may also be of assistance.

In the SAMBA distribution there used to be a Diagnostics.txt file with a
list of things to test.

There is also an FAQ that I posted to comp.os.vms and encompasserve.org
last January.  It does not cover the 2.0.3, but it does cover a number
of items.  http://www.google.com.

In general the DOS net view, the SAMBA NMBLOOKUP, and SMBCLIENT should
be used to verify connectivity.

Increasing the DEBUG level on the SMBD process can sometimes show what
the problem is.

I have not actually done anything with SAMBA with about a year.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net