Installing Samba on VMS 7.3-1 using Multinet 4.4a

Nails, Dana dnails at jscc.edu
Sat Aug 9 21:29:55 GMT 2003

I have been trying to configure Samba for days on our Alpha system. What we
are wanting to do is store print files on our alpha and be able to view them
through Word, Notepad, etc using Samba.  We have an NT Domain. Every user
has a domain account and an alpha account. I have been able to set up a
share and see the share but I can not look or browse the files.  Any
suggestions to fix this problem.

I have set it up to try and authenicate through the domain but the account
that trys to authenicate on the NT domain is showing up as SambaTestAlpha
and I have no idea where this name is coming from.  Any help here would be
appreciated.

I have also tried to authenticate through the  Samba server but I can not
get the smpasswd program to work so I can add users. I can't figure out how
to create the password database.

It really does not matter at this point how we authenicate or access the
files... I need assistance in configuring Samba to be able to look at the
files on the Alpha from a Windows 2000 or XP like a shared folder on a
Windows server.  The more I have read the more confused I am about doing
this. We would like to be able to use the windows server security if
possible but not necessary.

Any assistance anyone can provide is greatly appreciated and much needed.

Thanks

Dana Nails
Jackson State Community College
2046 North Parkway