Using smbcontrol.exe

COLLOT Jean-Yves Jean-Yves.COLLOT at cofiroute.fr
Mon Apr 14 13:58:00 GMT 2003

Well, first of all I must confess that I never thoroughly tested the
smbcontrol program.

Second, I must admit that if I did, I would have seen that it did not worked
properly when sending a message to the NMBD process. The reason is that the
NMBD process creates a NMBD.PID file, writes its own PID in it, but does not
close it, so the data is not actually written, and when SMBCONTROL reads
this PID file in order to get NMBD's Pid, it does not get anything, and
that's why it says " Can't find pid for nmbd"...

I am going to fix that problem, and a proper version will be available with
the next release of Samba/VMS. In addition, I'll change a little the
behaviour of SMBCONTROL, in order to accept PIDs as hexadecimal values, as
we are used to on VMS, instead of decimal ones, as Unix people do.

If you need a working version now, please tell me directly, and I'll send
you what is needed.

Jean-Yves