Problems encountered with Samba V2.2.7A on OpenVMS

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Apr 10 03:00:11 GMT 2003

> About the "UCX$NOBODY/TCPIP$NOBODY" issue, I completely agree with you, and
> I'll make the necessary changes in the H files in order to prefer
> TCPIP$NOBODY

It is wrong to use either account for SAMBA.  The SAMBA GUEST account
should be an independent account.

The UCX$/TCPIP$NOBODY accounts are only present if you have the UCX or
TCPIP program and have activated on of the optional features that use them.

They are intended for internal use of the TCPIP program, and should not
be used for other purposes.

The SAMBA GUEST account is not really a guest account, and as I find out
more about it from the SAMBA-TECHNICAL list, I suspect that it may need
further tailoring to give the security level that OpenVMS users expect.

This also may be needed to provide proper accounting of it's actions.

The samba technical list tells me that the only reason the account is
named "GUEST" is that is what some Microsoft documentation called it.
It is not a guest account, it is a non-privileged account used for
network operations, even for non-guest activitied.

I strongly recommend that you do not use the TCPIP or any other
pre-existing accounts from other products and create a special SAMBA
guest account, with it's own home directory.

There is a command procedure in the SAMBA 2.0.6. to create such an
account as SAMBA needs it.

It creates an account with "SAMBA__GUEST" (two underscores).

The kit can be found on the OpenVMS Freeware Version 5.0 CD-ROM.  This
is available from a link at http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/

> However, this is just defining the default guest account, and you easily can
> change it by either editing the SMB.CONF file (line "guest account = xxx")
> or using SWAT.

I strongly recommend creating a local guest account and doing a manual
change until the SAMBA default can be changed to use a dedicated "GUEST"
account.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinon Only