AW: Convert from ODS-2 to ODS-5

Dieter Roßbach dieter.rossbach at rosin.com
Tue Sep 24 17:58:37 GMT 2002

ODS-5 was not supported for systems disk on VMS 7.3. Now with 7.3-1, it is.
The man reason why the installation/upgrade procedure offers you a
convertion is: you cannot do it on a system mounted disk. The disk has to be
private mounted and that is a problem with VMS booted from that disk. All
other drives are easy to convert and Compaq/hp expects that you did it
already "by hand" to get the advantages of ods-5.

I am running ods-5 disks on most of my alphas, and with pathworks there are
some advanteges: long filenames, more than 8 directory levels, upper- and
lowercase filenames. My samba 2.2.4 on vms 7.3-1 does not preserve upper-
and lowercase. Maybe not supported or a setup problem, I did't have the time
to test it in detail.

But anyway, the hard link feature of ods-5 alone is a good reason to convert
the disks.

Greetings

Dieter