Samba 2.0.3 on OpenVMS

Dr. Guilherme Regis lgemedia at 200-171-183-182.dsl.telesp.net.br
Thu Oct 24 18:58:29 GMT 2002

Dear Claude Marinier,

Do you have SAMBA 2.0.3 running okay on your VAX system?
I can not make it run correctly on my VAX so far. I have tried many
things but it looks like it is missing something here.
I am wondering why I get "password program = /samba_exe/passwd.exe"
even not having it entered in smb.conf.
There is no passwd.exe file present in samba_exe: but smbpasswd.exe
which, according to its documents it does not work for 2.0.3.
For instance, from testparm:
# Global parameters
        workgroup = SNATCHER
        netbios name =
        netbios aliases =
        server string = Samba 2.0.3 for OpenVMS
        interfaces =
        bind interfaces only = No
        security = USER
        encrypt passwords = No
        update encrypted = No
        use rhosts = No
        min passwd length = 5
        map to guest = Never
        null passwords = No
        password server =
        smb passwd file = /samba_root/private/smbpasswd.dat
        hosts equiv =
        root directory = /
        passwd program = /samba_exe/passwd.exe
        passwd chat = *old*password* %o\n *new*password* %n\n
*new*password* %n\n *changed*
        passwd chat debug = No
        username map =
        password level = 0
        username level = 0
        unix password sync = No
I think the main problem here is to make a password program
for 2.0.3 work. I am still confused at this point because
it seems that there is none present.

How do I make 2.0.3 be accessed from my Linux box via GUEST account ?

Thanks in advance,
  Luiz