Samba 2.2.4 as a PDC

Peter Smode psmode at kitsnet.vancouver.bc.ca
Thu Oct 24 04:23:22 GMT 2002

I'm interested in making my newly installed version of Samba a PDC. I have a
few PCs that are currently running W98 against an Alpha NT Server 4 box.
There is no real heavy duty load here, so I'm not concerned about
performance (yet!).

I guess my first question is am I correct in assuming that the PDC code in
the VMS port will function? I am interested in the full PDC capability since
I want W98 clients to maintain shares a la NT domains (user list, etc.)

The next bit is about encrypted passwords. I've got a home network that I'm
doing this in, so I've not been too upset about turning off password
encryption under past versions. However, the Samba_PDC_HOW_TO document
insists that encruption must be turned on for the PDC functionality to work.

If I have encrypted passwords turned off everywhere else, is this realy
necessary?

How well, if at all, does the encrypted password support work in this port
of Samba? Ideally, I'd like a situation where no effort is required in
password maintenace (e.g. no need to run a hashing program every timea user
changes a password).

I'd appreceiate any advice or hard lessons learned.

Cheers,
 Peter